Call for Applications for the Academic Debates
AASLD is excited to announce that the 7th annual Academic Debates will be included in The Liver Meeting® 2021! Do not miss the opportunity to become a part of this MUST ATTEND event and submit your team application for consideration.
We are seeking two debates, two teams each per topic.
The debates will be pre-recorded in advance (with both teams, emcee, and panelists present) but held live via The Liver Meeting Digital Experience ™ with an interactive Q&A, discussion and audience voting.
Only applications received by Monday, August 9, 2021 will be considered.
Eligibility Notice: Teams that have participated in the debates over the past two years (at The Liver Meeting® in 2019 and 2020) are not eligible to be selected for the 2021 Academic Debates in an effort to expand the opportunity to new teams.
Team Participation Requirements
- 2 Fellows-in-Training: at least one fellow in Transplant Hepatology fellowship; this includes traditional 4th year fellows and dual certification pathway fellows (formerly known as the pilot fellows)
- 1 Faculty Mentor (will be with the fellows during the debate to serve as an advisor and primary contact for the team)
- All participants are required to participate in any rehearsal(s) and recording session(s) as well as attend virtually in the live broadcasted session that will be held during The Liver Meeting® (date and time is TBD). AASLD staff will work with teams to try to set up rehearsal and recording sessions at convenient times for all debate participants.
Application Requirements: Due Monday, August 9, 2021
- Complete a quick online application by August 9, 2021
- Identify Fellow participants (2) and Faculty mentor (1)
- Within the application, provide a hepatology related topic you would like to see debated and brief explanation why (250 words or less, please). Note: While the topic you submit is considered in the selection process, if your program is selected it should not be implied that your topic will be selected or assigned to your team.
- You must develop and submit a two-minute audition video of a debate with a fun topic of your choosing (it does not need to be liver related). This video may be used for promotional purposes.
Audition Video: Due Friday, August 13, 2021
- Submit your audition video no later than August 13, 2021.
- You must develop and submit a two-minute audition video of a debate with a fun topic of your choosing (it does not need to be liver related).
- Video submission must include a one-minute argument and one-minute rebuttal presented by both proposed teammates.
- You can prepare 2 one-minute videos or 1 two-minute video
- After completing this online application, you will receive an email with instructions on scoring criteria and how to submit your audition video.